Friday, February 19, 2010

Births, Deaths, Rebirths.

Since the last time that I put my thoughts onto this virtual page, a significant amount has changed. There has been a death in my family and a birth too. My Gran passed away two weeks ago at the age of 90 after a life that was rich in experience and full of love. She was witness to the vicious descent that I went through with heroin and was unable to do anything about it except worry. I cared not how my struggle impacted on anyone else and yet my Gran and the rest of  my family, exasperated though they were, remained strong in their belief that one day, however far away, I could extract myself from the sad, often deadly grip of drugs. I did that, with a lot of help, some three years ago, and one thing I am very grateful for, is that my Gran passed on without the stress and anxiety of having to worry whether she, at the age of 87, would outlive me, at the age of 35. The title of this Blog is Recovery Is Possible. R.I.P. An Acronym for My Gran and for me.

Also my Sister has recently given birth to a baby boy. So, happiness and sadness are swirling and melding round my mind at the same time and I have been feeling conflicted. Most of my family live in the U.S.A and I do not know when I may see my nephew for the first time. One thing I do know is that I will get across the puddle, and I will hold him in my arms. When I was in treatment, on my 36th birthday, my Mum sent me a card. It had only these words written on it – Happy Rebirthday. Nothing else needed to be said. I was making my own way back to life.

[Via http://recoveryispossible1.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment