Monday, November 16, 2009

7. My Family's History with Drugs

During the 1960’s and into the 1970’s drug use was becoming more and more common. The 1960’ were a time of peace, love and hippies. Hippies in the 1960’s were all for anti-government but they were also for drugs and experimentation.

The disease that is addiction did not simply pass my family by but actually strongly affected my mom and her sister. My mom began experimenting with marijuana almost once she transferred into public school. This experimentation slowly turned to harder drugs. But since my Aunt Camille was much older she had been experimenting already.

Her addiction to drugs slowly pushed her family farther and farther apart until really no one knew where she was. Drugs are a horrible thing and can end up completely consuming someone’s life; this is what ended up happening to my aunt for a while. Around the time of my mom’s marriage (1973) my aunt wasn’t really around.

My mom later ended up finding herself in the same situation. During the late 1970’s and early 1980’s my mom began to move from marijuana onto much harder drugs such as heroin. Her drug abuse greatly affected her life down the road (much closer to the 1990’s).

No comments:

Post a Comment